Wednesday, March 8th was International Women’s Day. So I thought this week was a good time to talk about the history of women’s day and share some pretty awesome quotes by women I admire.
International Women’s Day- Historical Facts
- Women’s Day was created in 1911 and spearheaded by Clara Zetkina, a German theorist.
- The United Nations started celebrating the holiday in 1975
- In 1996 the day started to have annual themes.
- In 2011 President Obama declared March Women’s History Month.
- 2016’s Theme is Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up for Gender Equality
5 Quotes from amazing women
As a woman, I know you’re young, but you gotta hear it now: the most valuable part about you is your brain. Get an education; don’t let anybody tell you that your body or the size that you wear or any of that BS matters, because it doesn’t. Your brain matters, so be the smart girl in the room. Because, to be funny, you have to be smart, because you have to get the joke.
Some people say, ‘Never let them see you cry.’ I say if you’re so mad you could cry, then cry. It terrifies everyone.
“Ignore what other people think. Most people aren’t even paying attention to you.”
I realized that I don’t have to be perfect. All I have to do is show up and enjoy the messy, imperfect and beautiful journey of my life.
Did you celebrate International Women’s Day? Which of these quotes is your favorite? Who are some women you admire? Tell me below.
Editors Notes: Due to recent controversy I have recently edited this post to exclude a certain person whose values don’t fit the All The Things I Do brand and mission of inclusion and support.