In this episode of Creatives Crushing Anxiety, I interview Ericka Young. Ericka is a financial coach who helps women and couples get their debt paid down and financial lives in check. If you’ve been suffering from debt and the anxiety that can come with it then you need to listen to this episode!
In this episode:
- The steps Ericka takes when she starts working with a new person.
- Why you need to have financial goals.
- Her biggest financial regret.
- Why you need to know your credit score.
- How one of her clients went from a 16% interest rate to a 5% interest rate on her car note.
- Her she decided her book topic.
- How she helps people recognize their hereditary money habits.
- How she better understood her husband’s money story.
- Why she doesn’t say, “we’re broke” and what she says instead.
- Why the words you use for money are so impactful.
- Why you sometimes need an outside party to keep you on track with your spending.
- How you don’t have to say, “no” every time.
- If she thinks how you should start saving first or paying debt off first.
- How to tackle the student loan debt.
- Why she thinks you need to try cash for 30 days.
- The thing she sees people are most likely to bend on their goals for.
- How long it took her and her husband to get out of 100k in debt.
- The luxuries we both make sure we fit into our budget.
- My challenge for you based on Ericka’s suggestion for a better life.
When you’re not intentional things spiral out of control. Click To Tweet
Money won’t come in chaos. Click To Tweet
Ask yourself, “What do I need to line up to be where I want to be”. Click To Tweet
If you don’t have a goal what's the point of a budget? You aren’t going to stick to it.- Click To Tweet
No one does it perfectly. Click To Tweet
If people can get their money act together they can lay a good foundation for their marriage. Click To Tweet
It seems easier for people to give their bodies up than to share bank accounts. Click To Tweet
If it’s going on credit cards then you don’t have it to spend. Click To Tweet
Budgeting helps with the waistline. Click To Tweet
We are taught to spend now and pay later. Click To Tweet
With plastic people spend 12-18% more. Click To Tweet
Money affects every part of your life. Click To Tweet
The best preparation for the future is the present well tended. Click To Tweet
Enjoying the episode? Share it on Twitter:
You can find Ericka here:
Ericka Young is the president and founder of Tailor-Made Budgets which she opened in 2005 after she and her husband Chris climbed their way out of nearly $100,000 in debt. She became a certified financial coach by Dave Ramsey’s Lampo Group in 2006 and combines her passion for helping people with creative debt reduction techniques so everyone can have a path to financial freedom. Ericka is a recognized financial expert who inspires people to significantly improve their finances, family and their future with a solid plan. Ericka’s Best-Selling book, “Naked and Unashamed: 10 Money Conversations Every Couple Must Have” was released online in February 2017 worldwide. She currently teaches her message of debt freedom through her e-newsletters, personal and group coaching, workshops and speaking engagements. Ericka, Chris and their two teenage daughters, Faith and Olivia reside in Fishers, IN.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Only use cash for 30 days straight.
- Look at every single card statement and receipts you have for the last month and break down how you are spending your money.
You can subscribe to the podcast on your favorite platform:
Thanks for listening! <3
Did you enjoy this episode?
Leave a comment and let me know what you think.
Now tell me:
- When starting a relationship how soon do you talk about money?
- What is your biggest debt?
- Are you a cash user or plastic user?
- If you were debt-free what is one way you’d treat yourself?
- What are some ways you celebrate without spending a lot of money?
- What is something you have no problem spending money on?